contains saw palmetto extract that has been widely used as a therapeutic remedy for urinary dysfunction due to benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) or prostate enlargement. Benign prostatic hyperplasia is the enlargement of the prostate gland that can make urination difficult.
DISEASE INTRODUCTION: PROSTATE ENLARGEMENT OR BENIGN PROSTATIC HYPERPLASIA (BPH)
Benign prostatic hyperplasia is a nonmalignant (non-cancerous) enlargement of the prostate gland. BPH
is very common in men over 40 years of age in races and culture; however, symptoms are usually noticeable after 50 years. Data have suggested that the incidence of BPH is 50% in men who are 60 years old and as high as 90% in men aged 85years of age.
- Difficulty starting urine stream (hesitancy and straining).
- Decreased strength of the urine stream (weak flow).
- Dribbling after urination.
- Feeling that the bladder is not completely empty.
- An urge to urinate again soon after urinating.
- Pain during urination (dysuria).